Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Power of Bedside Manner

Most medical students have more time to spend with patients than do higher-level providers. This encourages me to take the time I have with each of my patients to truly get to know them and how their lives affect their abilities to take care of themselves. Something I came to learn throughout my third year clerkships (and that I did not value as much before) was the power bedside manner has on the outcome of a patient's care. I have seen a direct correlation between good bedside manner and patient cooperation and health outcome. Observing this correlation has not only made me aware of how I should and should not approach my patients, but has also encouraged me to ask for feedback from residents and attending about my bedside manner - not just about my clinical knowledge and presentation skills.

Oluchi Ukaegbu
Class of 2013