Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Student Provides Comfort to Pediatric Patient

I was working on a consult service and was asked to see a Pediatrics patient. She was a young girl, just under 7 years old, and had initially presented with fever, rash, and pain. After an extensive work-up, including evaluation for autoimmune diseases, she was diagnosed with pediatric lupus. 

Just as I was about to enter the patient's room to evaluate her, the third year medical student on the Pediatrics team who was caring for this patient, met me outside the room. He shared with me our patient's story and his understanding of her hospital course up until that point. He shared with me many of the details of our patient's history, which could only have been acquired by someone who had spent significant time at the bedside. 

I asked him if he had any concerns about our patient, to which he shared that he was concerned about the patient's emotional well-being. He revealed that the patient's parents were rarely present, and that the patient appeared scared and lonely. I later found out that this medical student had been taking the patient to the playroom, giving her company and ephemeral retreat from the confines of a hospital room. He had gone above and beyond the expectations of a medical student in order  to address the patient's social and emotional needs. 

I was impressed with this student's insight into the global needs of our patients, and humbled that he did not feel it was outside of his scope to care for her in this way. In the end, I am certain that our patient's hospital stay was not defined by the nature of her diagnosis, but rather by the exemplary medical student who went out of his way to make her feel at home. 

Meghna Motiani
UICOMP, Class of 2014