Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Every emotion will be shared

OSF Saint Francis Medical Center has definitely given me the change to see a plethora of different cultures, races, sexual orientations, and ethnicities.  I believe the secret behind honest humanism comes with treating every patient in the same manner, with the same respect and the same quality of care no matter if the patient is a friendly or difficult person.  With this in mind, I know that I am able to make a special connection with every patient. The connection is nver the same either, which makes medicine such an exciting career. I'm not afraid to (and am actually ecstatic to) laugh with my patients (like the patient who jokes about leaving the hospital every time I see her), educate my patients about their illnesses, talk with my patients about their lives (like my patient who confessed to me of a drug addiction), share with my patients' families when they are in room (like my comatose patient in the MICU), and even shed a tear with my patients (like while hugging my patient who decided to make her baby comfort measures). I understand that every emotion will be shared while practicing medicine,and no matter what the emotion is, the patients and their loved ones will always need someone there for them. I'm excited to get the chance to be that person.

Matt Howard, UICOMP Class of 2012
GHHS member